SteelSeries is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help develop world class web experiences. We want someone that can make a huge impact on our development team, has experience developing web applications, and has a serious passion for technology and product development.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for developing new features for our digital platforms, including ecommerce, users and community, our software platform Engine, and other internal applications. We are a small, fast growing team and we have many cool, challenging problems to solve.
If you were here the last few months, you would have worked on:
- Developed an application on AWS for handling millions of daily pings from our software, SteelSeries Engine, with information from customers around the world.
- Migrated our user account application from a SOA to an integrated part of our core e-commerce platform to enhance security, improve performance, and reduce codebase.
- Refactored our checkout flow from scratch, using a test driven approach.
If you are here the next few months, you will:
- Integrate our website and ecommerce with our software, SteelSeries Engine, for a richer and more seamless customer experience across our digital platforms.
- Shape new features on SteelSeries.com to support our growth and reach new customers.
- Play with and give feedback on unannounced super-secret hardware products coming out next year.
Why you should work here:
- Love what you do - This isn't some B2B app or SaaS targeted at an industry you have no real interest in. We’re a company making products for gamers, and are active participants in the gaming industry. If you are interested in consumer electronics, gaming, or something related - you will love it here.
- Many cool technical problems to solve - Our tech team is small and tightly knit. We work on all kinds of projects, and there’s always a new challenge coming up.
- Make an impact - We are a small company, so if you like being able to make an impact on a daily basis - this is your place.
- Be part of Product Development - Feel strongly about what makes good gaming gear? We’ll listen to you. We are a very open organization and everyone has chances to see how consumer electronics products are built and what goes into bringing them to market.
Qualities we’d love to see:
- Advanced experience with Python
- Advanced experience working with a MVC framework (Django, Flask, Pyramid - we use mostly Django)
- Experience with test driven development
- Experience setting up and administering Linux servers (our stack is nginx, uWSGI, Redis, Postgres)
- Experience with devops tools like Chef, Ansible or Puppet
- Experience using authentication systems, especially OAuth2
- Experience using payment system APIs like Stripe, Braintree, Paypal, or experience integrating other REST APIs
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
SteelSeries makes high performance gaming gear used by the most demanding, top professional gamers worldwide and peripherals that provide superior quality and a competitive edge to gamers of all skill levels.
What originally began with two people who recognized the need for superior, high-quality/performance gaming gear that would give gamers a competitive edge, has grown into a global leader in gaming and entertainment gear sought after for their high-performance capabilities.
Fast-forward to today, and we’ve come a long way since our first glass mousepad. We have global offices in North America, Europe, and Asia, providing a complete portfolio of products designed for gaming.
- You are smart, inquisitive and can get stuff done.
- You want to make a huge impact and love pushing the boundaries of web and product development.
- You take pride in what you do and want to be part of that next great product sitting (hopefully) on the shelf at your local Best Buy.
- You’re accustomed to a small company environment, including wearing many hats and managing many things at any given time
Don’t apply if:
- You require strict organizational structure.
- You don’t like change.
- You need constant managerial guidance, and can’t handle autonomy.
We offer competitive pay, great benefits and an awesome work place with people who love gaming and technology. Sorry, we can’t do any visa sponsorship at this time. This position is located in our office in West Loop, Chicago.